Who Should You Notify When You Move?


    Moving requires a lot of work! Boxes to pack, movers to schedule, change of address cards to send to friends and relatives. Speaking of that, here’s a list of other important people and institutions to notify about your change of address; failure to work through this checklist could cause problems with your mail and accounts.


    As already mentioned, these folks should be first on your list. Plan ahead for a chance to visit if you’re moving a long distance or time to have them come over and help if you’re staying in the area.


    If you’ll be leaving your current position, give enough notice to the company can find your replacement. Your old office needs your new address for tax documents and insurance information that can be of benefit to you.


    If you’re currently a renter, carefully review your tenant rights and responsibilities as stated in the lease agreement. At least 30 days notice are probably required to be in compliance. Put your move-out date and future address in writing; include a brief statement about the excellent condition of the property and request your security deposit back.


    Be sure to properly register your change of address and moving date with the United States Postal Service. You can complete a change of address request at your local post office or on the USPS website so that mail is forwarded until all individual companies and organizations have correctly updated your information.


    Notify your service providers so you don’t experience service lapses or receive past-due bills. Plan to have your old home’s utilities disconnected on moving day and connected in your new home by the time you move in. Utility companies may include gas, water, electricity, telephone, cable, waste collection, and internet.


    If you move out of state, you may only have 10 to 30 days (depending on your new state) to transfer your driver’s license and update your insurance and vehicle’s registration. Plan ahead to visit their website and/or visit the local office of the DMV at your earliest opportunity to be sure you have the required paperwork and properly complete the process. Be aware that even if you make a local move, you are required to change your address in a designated time frame.


    Several government agencies may require proper notice of your change of address; these may include the Social Security Administration, the electoral register, and others with which you may have business.


    The IRS needs your actual home address for mailing of your tax return, fiscal notes, and other tax-related documents. Print out and mail in the IRS’ Change of Address form soon after your move.


    Update your bank accounts and notify credit card companies, stockbrokers, and any other finance-related institutions of your new address shortly before or immediately after your relocation.


    Insurance companies. The agencies that hold your life, health, and homeowner’s insurance policies should have your updated address right away. Also, notify any other individuals or organizations (such as a family attorney) with whom you deal as soon as possible.


    If you move to a new state or area, you will need to enroll your children in a new school and find a new family physician and other health professionals. Academic records, medical records, and prescriptions will also need to be transferred. To make all these transfers successful, notify your doctors, dentists, veterinarians, other healthcare providers, and schools that you will be moving. Give them your new address, obtain any records, or sign releases so they can be sent when requested.


    Update your address with any social, sports, or professional clubs with which you are involved. Notify magazine or newspaper services to cancel or change your delivery address.

    Most important – don’t wait until the last minute when packing is hectic. Plan ahead!

    Trackback from your site.

    Leave a Reply