Surely you have dish detergent in your kitchen, but do you know how helpful this mild liquid is all through your house?
- Greasy stains like salad dressing can be rubbed with a little dish detergent and rinsed to spot-treat most fabrics, including washable wool and silk, which may be damaged by laundry detergent that contains stain-fighting enzymes. Ring around the collar is no match for dish detergent, either.
- Add two tablespoons of dish detergent to a bucket of warm water to clean vinyl and tile flooring. Avoid hardwoods since the water may harm the boards.
- Wipe down patio furniture with a little dish detergent in warm water. Rinse with a spray from the garden hose.
- Your jewelry can be quickly cleaned with a little dish soap mixed with seltzer; the bubbles help loosen dirt and get the soap into all the little spaces. Just soak your jewelry in a bowl with the seltzer and soap for five minutes, swish it through the suds, and use a soft toothbrush to scrub away any stubborn dirt.
- Hairbrushes and combs can be cleaned of grooming products with a frequent soak in warm water with a few drops of dish soap.
- Delicate hand-washables may be washed in a sink full of water with a tablespoon of dish soap.
- Are fruit flies bugging you in your kitchen? Add three drops of dish soap to a bowl of vinegar. The vinegar attracts the little pests, the soap cuts the surface tension, and the flies will sink and drown.
- To remove a stain on carpet, dissolve one tablespoon of dish liquid in two cups of warm water, and blot the stain with a clean white cloth dipped in the solution. Repeat until the stain is absorbed in the cloth and out of the carpet. Sponge with cold water, and blot dry with a clean cloth.
- Kitchen cupboards can become greasy in a busy kitchen. Add a little dish soap to warm water in a spray bottle and mist the cabinets. Rinse with a damp cloth and wipe dry.
- Remove oil stains from concrete by covering the stain with baking soda and then pouring dish liquid over it. Scrub the area with a plastic brush and let it sit for a few hours. Rinse and repeat if necessary.